What you Need to Know about Residential Sprinklers
Residential Sprinklers are a simple tool to install in your home that can help save lives and limit the damage caused by a fire. Residential Sprinklers were recently added to all major codes across the United States and are up for adoption in many communities.
Fire is a problem in the United States with nearly 4,000 deaths a year due to fire, Michigan needs to make sure another life can be saved by installing sprinklers in homes today.
How Much do Sprinklers Cost to put in our new home?
The cost of residential sprinklers can vary based on the location of the home and water supply coming into a house. The best estimate for residential sprinklers is based on the industry reports published by credible sources.
The Fire Protection Research Foundation’s Home Fire Sprinkler Cost Assessment report (PDF) reveals that the cost of installing home fire sprinklers averages $1.61 per square foot for new construction. To put the cost of a sprinkler system into perspective, many people pay similar amounts for carpet upgrades, a paving stone driveway, or a whirlpool bath. Sales in many U.S. communities where sprinkler systems are available show that, not only are consumers requesting this feature, but also that houses with sprinkler systems are selling faster than those without.
In July 2009 NFPA published a report which shows the cost of new construction with residential sprinklers does not rise like some may make you believe. Take a look at the report based on like communities in the east coast.
Does the US have a History with Sprinklers?
The US has had a great success with sprinklers through many local ordinances across the country. In fact, NFPA has published a great report which indicates the success with sprinklers. Take a look at the report.
What is the concern about Lightweight Truss?
Its really not about light weight wood truss, its what happens to these critical components in your home when they catch on fire. NFPA and UL have several published studies that look at the disastrous results when these structures are involved in fire.
Are Michigan’s Contractors Ready for Residential Sprinklers?
Residential sprinklers are installed based on NFPA 13D, which is a nationally produced document. Professional sprinkler contractors exist around the State which have installed residential sprinklers in many locations across the State. NFPA 13D also provides detailed installation instructions for cold climates such as Michigan to protect the system from freezing!
Will the Maintenance of the System will be a big Burden on my Family?
This is just not true as system maintenance can be easily managed by your family. One big difference between a sprinkler system installed per NFPA 13 and NFPA 13D is the maintenance requirements. Sprinkler maintenance is not as difficult as it may be portrayed. There are many resources that are easily utilized. Make sure that you are aware of the maintenance procedures in NFPA 13d and that anyone living in a home
with sprinklers is aware of Living with Sprinklers Program
There are many resources at your finger tips. The resources vary but include information for home owners, building officials, contractors and even elected officials.
- Built for Life campaign provides local building and fire departments with resources to educate the public on the benifits of residential sprinklers.
- The Fire Sprinkler Initiative is full of the FACTs on residential sprinklers. This proven web-site is full of informaiton that are based on legitimate sources.
- Are you a Home Owner looking for the FACTS on residential sprinklers? Check out the Home Fire Sprinkler Coalition’s web-page which packed with useful informaiton on maintenance, installation and much more.
- Contractors need resources at their finger tips as the industry is trying to confuse the issue. Residential sprinklers are easy to install when properly designed and a trained contractor is utilized. Make sure the design is in place before the foundation walls go up and make sure you get the facts.
- The water department or authority in your community plays a large role in the success of fire sprinklers. Download the guide to assist them in the transition.
- ISO Fact Sheet on Residential Sprinklers
- Residential sprinklers are there to protect what you value most. Check out this simple video on residential sprinklers:
What can you do?
The best thing that you can do is to begin educating your community on the benifit of residential sprinklers
- Make sure you understand the technical back-ground on residential sprinklers
- Communicate with your local building and water departments. Ensure they understand the requirements and work to remove any barriers to installation.
- Provide hands on demonstrations to elected officials and the public. Make sure your community has resources available to all new builders and home owners.
- Update your web-page to include links to some of the many resources on residential sprinklers.